Taroko National Park is on the East Coast of Taiwan and the highlight is the Xiangde Temple, a popular spot for visitors and worshippers. Let’s explore how to visit Xiangde Temple and what you can do in Taroko National Park.
> RELATED ARTICLE: HOW TO CLIMB MT INSUBON, SOUTH KOREA
Why visit Xiangde Temple
The Xiangde Temple was completed in 1968 and can be found nestled into the mountain on the opposite side of the river across the Pudu Bridge from Tianxiang Village. This Buddhist temple is famous for the highest-elevated statue of Ksitigarbha, a bodhisattva who protects souls in hell and who vowed not to become a buddha until they are freed.
The Xiangde Temple in Taroko Gorge is a beautiful spot, and at the top of a long set of stairs, you can see breathtaking mountainous views of the surrounding area. Around the half-way mark of stairs, you can take a pit-stop for snacks and tea from local merchants.
Must-sees in Taroko National Park
Taroko National Park is a beauty to behold with gushing waterfalls, breath-taking temples, and incredible beaches. So you have seen Xiange Temple, what else should be on your list to see when visiting Taroko National Park?
- Swallowtail Grotto
- Tunnel of Nine Turns
- Eternal Springs Shrine
- Qixingtan Beach
- Shakadang Trail, the Baiyang Waterfall Trail, and the Zhuilu Old Trail
How to reach Taroko National Park
Travel from Hualien to Taroko Gorge:
- The cheapest way is by public bus, the earliest bus departs at 7am and the one leaves from Tianxiang at 5pm.
- Catch the tourist shuttle bus from Hualien Station that runs throughout Taroko National Park
Travel from Taipei to Taroko Gorge:
- Hire a car or taxi to take the journey by road taking 2 hour 45 minutes
- Take the train from Taipei to Hualien and take the shuttle bus from there
Getting around Taroko National Park:
- Taroko National Park is bigger than you may have imagined so you will need to consider how to get around from each spot if you only have a day to explore. You can hire a taxi or bicycle for the day, or take a hire car for the whole day.
PLANNING YOUR PERFECT TAIWAN TRIP
Plan ahead for your Taiwan trip
- Find the best hotel deals in Taipei on Booking.com
- Get your car transfer or bus booked from Taoyuan International Airport
- Download WeSolo Travel App to plan trips with like-minded travellers
Book a tour of Taroko & Taiwan
Disclaimer: Our article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of these links, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. It helps us to keep bringing you awesome content, trips, and partnerships!